Shiluvane Family left destitute after candle allegedly sets house alight during loadshedding

LOCAL NEWS

By Theodorah Waga Mawasha

SHILUVANE-The family of Mahlomola Mokone in Shiluvane village, Greater Tzaneen was destroyed by fire. The incident is reported to have happened on Sunday evening while the family was sleeping.

According to a neighbour Mahlatse Ratabala, the family usually lights candles when there is load shedding. On the fateful day as usual, the family went to sleep and left candles burning. It is reported that they were woken up by smoke.

“The family is devasted. They are not sure if the house caught fire due to load shedding or if it was candles that were left lit.

As a concerned neighbour, I saw their plight and thought of approaching the media to intervene. Perhaps, they will get donations because they lost everything in the fire”, Ratabala said.

The ward Councillor Gezani Makhubele was approached to step in; however, he has allegedly been -dilly-dallying.

When contacted, his phone rang unanswered. The family pleads for any sort of help in the form of food parcels, building material and basic necessities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *