Grade 3 learner dies after consuming biscuit bought from local spaza

CRIME

By Staff Report

ROODEPOORT-A Grade learner from Onkgopotse Tiro Primary School in Tshepisong, Roodepoort passed away at a local clinic due to alleged food poisoning.

It is alleged that two boy learners from the school complained of stomach cramps in class and were rushed to Tshepisong Clinic.

Unfortunately, after few minutes of receiving medical attention, one learner was certified dead. Accordingly, the surviving learner was transferred to Leratong Hospital for further medical treatment, and he is in stable condition.

Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson Steven Mabona said according to available information, the boys bought and ate a pack of biscuits from a local spaza shop.

He said the Department would provide Psycho-Social Support to the schools.

The Department expressed its condolences to the family of the deceased child and also wished the other boy a speedy recovery.

“We continue to urge School Governing Bodies (SGBs), parents, and communities at large to be always vigilant towards the food or snacks sold in and around schools,” Mabona said.

He said where it is suspected that the food or snack may have expired, such information should be reported to the local health or police authorities for necessary action.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *