Family devasted after 8-room house burns down in Dan village


By Theodorah waga Mawasha

DAN VILLAGE-A family at Dan village under Greater Tzaneen was left homeless when a devastating fire consumed their 8-room house and everything inside that they owned.

The fire broke out on Friday, October 6, at the break of dawn. Family member Lonia Ngoveni, who was sleeping when the fire started, said the fire started after load shedding.

“We were woken up by our neighbours who were still outside having a braai. They came to knock and told us the house was on fire. We then attempted to douse the flames with water, but, they were just too strong.”

“Everything was destroyed including a car that was parked in the garage. We are left with nothing “, Ngoveni added.

The family received aid from the Greater Tzaneen Municipality Disaster Management Department which offered them tents and blankets, but, they said they still need more help to rebuild their lives.

The family has in the meantime also approached the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) so that they can get food parcels. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *